We recommend driving to Gairloch and having use of a car while you are here, public transport is limited at best.
For more information on other travel options see beneath the map.
- Having made it to Gairloch, follow the signs for Big Sand/Melvaig.
- After leaving Gairloch, drive approx. 5 minutes and you will pass the Gairloch Youth hostel on your right and then you will pass the Caravan Park on your left.
- Go across a cattle grid and head up the slope.
- 50m up the slope, take the steep left turn which is signposted ‘Big Sand’.
- Take the third turn on the right about 600yds along this road. The turn is marked by a Clarsach sign and a large boulder, numbered 23.
- Clarsach will quickly become visible on the left and you will see the gate to the property.
- If you miss the boulder and get to the red telephone box, you have gone too far – go back the way you came and take the first left.
Driving to Gairloch from Inverness takes around an hour and 45 minutes, depending on traffic/road conditions. The road has some beautiful scenic parts and is only single track for a short section of the road just before entering Gairloch.
Achnasheen is the nearest train station. This is reached by a connecting train from Inverness.
Please note, it a 40-minute drive away from Gairloch and there are no hire car companies nearby.
The Tourist Information Office in Gairloch has local timetables and can help you plan your journey to get to and from the area. Tel 01445712071.